Monday, February 17, 2014

Little steps

In the past week or so I've had little successes. I should keep track of these for when my motivation wavers.

Burpees
I'm surprised at how bad at burpees I am. Well, how exhausting I find them. At the start I was exhausted after 7 or 8. Last week I was tired after 9. That's something, right?

Climbing
Last week I conquered two yellow bouldering climbs.

That's the 3rd-lowest level of difficulty, after green and blue, but it's also I think the best I've ever climbed. I used to climb every week, or thereabouts, for a couple of years. This is my 5th or 6th time back in the climbing gym after a 5-year break and I'm ahead of where I used to be. How does that work? Possibly the strength training in the gym is helping. Oddly, on the same day I twice just missed getting to the top of the campus board -- that thing I got to the top of last month. Hmm...

Pain
Saturday I had my third personal training session at the gym, and we completely changed the focus of my workouts. (Which I will have to write up here sometime.) A lot more weights work, working on having a pull and a push set in each bracket of 3 exercises, and some legs in there too. I found the legwork the hardest, which is becoming a theme. At the end my muscles were jelly, the next day I was sore, and yesterday I was sore. Today I went to my first ever pump class, and yep -- legs the weak link again. And soreness again. Which I am taking as a sign of progress?


No comments:

Post a Comment